Monday 25 April 2011

“YOU ARE ANTI-NATIONAL”....................................by J Mario Fernandes

“You are anti-national. My friend repeatedly accused me over the table as we imbibed a few drinks. “Of course I’m not”--I retorted loudly now, and instead charged him of pursuing a communal game of his favourite political party.
It was my turn to go on the offensive as by now we were getting all the unwanted attention of the revelers in that crowded bar .
“You were once selling Goa to Maharashtra. And still are doing so by dishonestly misappropriating and coveting the neighbour’s lingua as your own, even though you don’t speak it in your homes. But it suits you well in your political machinations and............”
As I went on with the barrage he interrupted me and screamed “But you are anti-national. I know it”....
“Is it because I am a Catholic?”
“No, this is not about religion”
Nevertheless I hastened to add in a bid to pre-empt him that I speak, read and write in Konkani.
“Is it because I clamour for Roman script? Well, I am sorry, but that is my birthright”. I thundered claiming it is a just and a right cause. “I have used it for my religious and catechetical activities ever since I was a child. You can’t take away that right from me”.
“No”, he said. “It is absolutely not about that”. As I was about to excuse and dismiss him for being a bit too tipsy for a sober conversation, he shouted me down saying “But you are anti-national”
I was in no mood to retaliate. So I opted for a persuasive tone. “Arre xannea” I continued, “have you read Valmiki’s book ‘Patriotism in Action’?” The mention of the book incensed him. He blurted out some expletives. Guessed he had already read it.
“It will enlighten you statistically as to the numbers of my community members who have sacrificed their lives for our nation.” He felt subdued with my unassailable evidence.
“I have read the book. And I am not talking about it either.”
“Obviously, you won’t”----I sneered.” So what more do you have to label me ‘anti-national’ so liberally? I have not robbed the state exchequer. I am not an economic offender. I have not taken nor given bribes to get my work done or to circumvent rules. I pay my taxes on time. I don’t stoke communal passions. I abide by the laws of the land. I am a conscientious citizen. What more...”.
I realised the futility of my arguments, so I decided to take leave. But he pulled me back saying “You are anti-national”
“How, now... “
“Didn’t you study in English primary school?”

4 comments:

  1. If those who STUDY in English medium primary schools can be called "anti-national", what about those who OWN / MANAGE / DIRECT / etc. primary schools with English as the medium of instruction? Are they, too, anti-national?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all aniti-national when we fight for English medium; but we are not anti-national when we send our children abroad for higher education or better jobs. ALL DOUBLE FACE, HYPOCRITES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marathi Manos are clever. When they go to Europe Shamsunder becomes SAM and Ram Singh becomes Ramsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those who speak the truth in Goa are termed as Anti-nationals cause the so called nationals are all out to kill the truth in Goa.Just ask in Random about the present system in Goa and the answer from the majority will be things were much more better during the Portuguese Regime in Goa than now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.