Friday 25 February 2011

A DIFFERENT KIND OF POLITICS by Dr. Hubert Gomes

I guess, in today’s Politics, a combination of being a "non-politician and a successful dentist" is rather an odd combination. And that has a few disadvantages. But fortunately the odd combination also has many advantages; and that is certainly the case with me. Who knows? Probably through this odd combination, God has brought into Goan Politics, a "different kind" of a person... a person who has got the guts to do what is right for Goa, and not what is popular with the masses.
To start with, having had to wear my "dental face mask” for nearly thirty odd years, I was forced to develop a habit of "talking less, listening more, observing minutely and acting decisively". After encountering and dealing with different kinds of pains (toothaches, psychosomatic pains and other kinds of pains) in my long professional life, I was probably "subconsciously trained" to become a person that I am today...very sharp, sensitive and empathic to the real needs of the people.
Being a Non-Politician, I can still think, feel and act like a "Non-Politician". It has also given me the wisdom and courage to experiment with a "different kind of politics" in Benaulim Constituency. And thank God, my brand of politics has found a wide acceptance with the people; and has earned me a lot of goodwill in the bargain. It has created so many political ripples, that, Mr. Churchill Alemao has become a “very desperate man”. This was evident when he released a quarter page "defamatory advertisement" against me...without any provocation from my side. (If you wish to read that silly advert in Herald, kindly click this Link... http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoaukextra2/5420678503/sizes/l/)
So why do I call it is a "Different Kind of Politics"? To start with, I am not distributing any money, alcohol, water tanks, gold chains and other goodies to gain the support/votes of anybody. On the contrary, I have chosen to walk the road that is less traveled. Besides encouraging the youth to "give-up cigarettes and alcohol", I have got many of them actively involved in new positive habits like gymnasium, indoor/outdoor games and other activities. As you are aware in today's politics, youngsters are given money and alcohol, and "used by the politicians" to do their odd jobs.
After joining politics, the first thing I attempted to do was to visit every home in Benaulim Constituency. For technical and political reasons, I could visit only 65% of them so far. My intention behind visiting these homes, was not to seek their support/votes, but to know "first hand" the various problems faced by my electorate. Instead of telling others "what I will be doing for them", I started my politics by “listening and understanding” the needs of the people. Many of them told me, that this was something which nobody had done earlier.
After doing a good homework, I started Benaulim Community Centre to address some of the important unfulfilled needs needs of my people. It is therefore no surprise that my Centre has become a "big hit" in Benaulim Constituency. Even my political rivals acknowledge the good work that is being done by this Centre. Although many people give me the credit for starting the Benaulim Community Centre, I would like to share this reward with the people of Benaulim. It is they who told me "what they wanted". I only responded to their demands/suggestions by doing what I could afford.
Benaulim Community Centre is a centrally located at Zen Gardens, near Maria Hall, Benaulim. Although this 4500 sq. ft. ground floor premises had cost me a bomb (when I purchased it four years ago); it has become a real "blessing" for everybody. I could go ahead and do the innovative community work that I am currently doing, only because I had this beautiful premises; and I thank God for it. We conduct a lot of indoor and outdoor activities at this Centre for people of all age groups. And the facilities are absolutely FREE for the local residents of Benaulim Constituency.
Although Benaulim Community Centre is a novel concept for Goa, it is certainly not my "invention". You can find such Centres in many parts of the world. I welcome you to visit us, and see for yourself the various things we are currently doing. We are certainly "transforming" Politics in Goa... from a "Greed based, Self-Centered Politics", into a "Need based, Community-Centered Politics".
And for those of you who will not be able to visit us in the near future, I would like to tell you more about Benaulim Community Centre in my next Facebook article - "Touching Hearts, Changing Lives".

7 comments:

  1. Dear Dr Hubert , there is a vast gulf between you and Chorchill. Chorchill 's motto is to rob and terrorise the downtrodden. Dr you take about Community Centre, what that donkey undersands about it. The donkey lived life in cleaning toilets on the ships,then came home and started extortion money from the vulrenable people, affter that engrossed in smuggling. Then the greedy pig was licking the arse of Monte Cruz and now involved in looting the state with the blessings of TOAD from Margao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a very modest person like you who is with the people for the people God will not forsake you. Having to dedicate ones time and energy for the community is not an easy task. I pray the residents of the constituency do not forsake you in the upcoming elections. Giving Youngsters alcohol and money to do the dirty work has become a trademark of Goa’s corrupt politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Modern day elections are never fair and just although projected to be. Money power, intimidation's are the decisive factors which tilts the balance on who takes to the chair, however may Good sense prevail in this elections to come and may the voice of the people take to the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Hubert your dedication and humility to the people of Benaulim will be treasured for generations to come. You are doing a good job by guiding the youth to find their right place for a promising future. A generous deed will never be forgotten by them. I am sure one day when they grow up and have family values, they will definitely remember you in their hearts throughout their life. A heart rendering gesture of goodwill is second to none. May the Almighty God give you grace to continue to help the poor and the downtrodden. Hope the people of Benaulim come to their senses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delphine Pereira Navelim26 February 2011 at 07:55

    Will Goans ever see sense and vote the honest persons to power? Are we that selfish only to care for ourselves and turn a blind eye on our future blood generation? We have to take the opportunity, grab and support a person like Dr. Hubert which only comes once in a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salvador Seraulim26 February 2011 at 08:09

    My message to all the Goan illiterate politicians' crumb eaters mainly from the south, venture further out and see the destruction of Goa.y It is caused by your crumb feeding political masters. The worst are from the South followed by the north. Open your eyes and appreciate what Dr Hubert and others are doing to improve community life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. N.Fernandes-London26 February 2011 at 12:06

    I agree with you Salvador.Goa once used to be a clean and pristine place.Today , at the hands of these rogue Politicians,it is one hell of a garbage dump.There is litter every where.There are smells every where.There is Ghanti shit and red Paan spit and snot everywhere.
    Perhaps we have to thank the crumbeaters of the current politicians for this state of affairs.Thy are obviously blind and deaf and surely cannot read or even write,I suspect.The are as illiterate as theor Political masters.
    And yes you are correct.South Goa is loaded with these illiterate and uneducated crumbeaters.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.