Thursday 12 August 2010

GOA: A HEAVEN OF DRUGS? By P. Cruz, Vasco Da Gama - Goa

On 4th June, 2010 I landed at Aberdeen Airport, I was tired as I had to board early morning flight from Goa-Mumbai-Heathrow-Aberdeen. I was on an official duty to my Head office for some Engineering procedures. I looked my watch it read 22:00 hours.
Say No To Drugs
I collected my luggage and went out in the freezing temperature to catch a taxi to my company apartment. Waiting in a queue for Taxi my hands and head got cold as I was wearing a jacket only. My turn arrived for the taxi and jumped in it quickly and after wishing the taxi man I showed him the address of my company apartment and the Taxi Man knew I was an Indian citizen. While travelling he asked me which part of India I am from, I just ignored and try to escape the question. Again he asked me to which part of India I belonged, I had to answer him and I say Goa! Well he asked me if I am first time in Aberdeen, I answered “no, I had come here lot of time for my office work and this apartment is new to me”. He informed me he had gone down to Goa and enjoyed a lot, its nice place beautiful but he remarked lots of Drugs, mafias and crimes. I knew what exactly he will say before that I stopped and said “you mean Scarlett”; he replied “yes, also other crimes like drug and politicians”. So we had a long discussion on Goa issues and the last conclusion we reached that Goa is going down in Hell. We arrived at my apartment; I paid him the bill and went off to my room for a quick meal and sleep.
There was another incident four years back I was on offshore in Azerbaijan-Baku working in chilly frozen Caspian Sea, I was on duty and after working for some hours I went for a coffee break. As I was sipping my coffee one guy patted on my back and said “Hi Cruz I am Patrick from New Castle, are you from Goa”. He new my name from the work coverall I was wearing. I replied “Hi Patrick I am from Goa” projecting out my shoulder and making it broad. Then the man explained to me that he heard lot of good thing about Goa and informed me that his friend purchased one house there which he uses as a vacation spot every time. I asked him what sort of good things he heard about Goa, he replied to me good Beaches, friendly people, cheap for them to stay there and in the end he said “too much drugs… I like it so I want to visit there to enjoy this and also for Rave parties”. My blood was running like as fast as a train as I did not have words to speak just looking at his face. Further he informed me that he will also buy a house over there. After some days my work was completed and came home.
Six months back I was in Mumbai for my company medicals as I have to do that every 2 years as per company’s law. Early morning I went in Mumbai office collected all the paperwork and set for my medicals by a hired taxi. The taxi man was from UP and his name was Kumar, we arrived at the hospital and settled his bill. I asked him whether he can collect me after my medicals and drop me to my hotel, he agreed and we exchanged the telephone numbers. After my medicals I gave the taxi driver a call and he arrived to the hospital and also dropped me in my hotel. My work was completed and I had a flight next day to Goa at 14:00 hrs. Next day morning I was feeling bored as my friends were all working, so I called the Taxi man Kumar again and asked him if he is free. He came to collect me at my hotel and I set with him to do some shopping for my family and see some places as I had a lot of time to catch the flight. While travelling and shopping we were talking to each and became somewhat close. During the conversation he informed me that long back he came down in Goa from Mumbai with 4 (male) students from college. The students came from rich family they had 3-4 days holidays due to some festival and decided to go to Goa for enjoyment. They arrived in Goa, booked a hotel in Panjim and rested for that night. The next day they decided to go around Goa and came back home got some booze and some girls in their rooms all night. Next morning the girls disappeared and the guys came out from the hotel to go for sight seeing. One of the students asked the Driver whether he knows someone selling Drugs. There was a security guard in the hotel and he was from UP, the driver and security became friends during this period. The driver went to him and inquired about any opportunity for drugs. Security guard asked him to wait near his car and went somewhere. After 10-15 minutes he came and handed some drugs to them and received the money from the students. So the driver was surprised like in Mumbai its very difficult to get those things but in Goa its like ordering a Pizza or any fast food, even I was surprised. I asked him about the name of the hotel but he could not remember it all he says it’s in Panjim. I was done with my shopping had my lunch and set straight for Airport.
I wrote this as it was in my mind for so many years and I wanted to let the truth be in your eyes about our Goa. So many families suffered with drugs, it has reached colleges, schools, in children gardens, all over place. I know one of my friends neighbour was involved in it and how he destroyed his family’s peace, later he died of Aids but before dying he confessed to all of his friends about drugs & sex in Goa. He told them he enjoyed a lot but it was in evil way and asked them not to do this in their life. He was educated and on death bed confessed this to all who were coming to visit him. Why our leaders are ignorant, why the church is quiet on this, where are the NGO’s? This Blog “Niz Goenkar” can be a platform to start the fight against drugs. I never knew the man Menino but I am proud of him for this Blog. My head is relieved as this was in my mind for so many years. Even the great nation US is fighting against drugs even they find hard to eliminate it, but we Goenkars can work together hand in hand and eliminate it completely, to show the world nothing is impossible.

4 comments:

  1. Yes Mr. Cruz, drugs can cause tremendous damage to the society. Specially the youth and children if they get addicted and they have no money, the they start robbing and looting to get the drugs. But in Goa the Goa Police themselves are drug dealers then what do you expect to become of Goa and the Goans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Ravi Naik & Son Drugs Co. Ltd, Ponda Goa and the salesman like DSP Chandrakant Salgaonkar, PI Ashish Shirodkar and rest of the police constables and the warehouse police headquarters, why won't Goa become a heaven for drugs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every where people talk about Goa. They say it is very easy to get drugs in Goa. The image of Goa has gone down completely. Who is to be blamed for this? The politicians or the people of Goa? This question haunts me and no answer comes to my mind. I cry for my once beautiful and virgin Goa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When drug lords are friendly with politicians an law enforcers, who would ever touch them. The honesty in our governing system does not exist. Our young Goans being unemployed turn to drugs due to boredom . Goa needs to be fixed, it is only If Goans Stand Together Goa might change. There is hope, me be one day the honest Ministers could do it for us. God Bless Goa and Us All

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.