Monday 29 November 2010

TALATHI APPREHENDED ACCEPTING BRIBE BY ANTI CORRUPTION BUREAU

QUEPEM: The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), on Monday, trapped Quepem talathi, Mr Subhash Velip red-handed for accepting a bribe to complete some mutation work, informed officials.  Sources also said that the talathi, who was trapped accepting speed money at the Quepem mamlatdar office, was in charge of the mutation work for the whole of Quepem taluka and has since been suspended pending an inquiry.
An after effect of the raid was clearly visible on the staff of the department as most of were seen at their desks, working past 5.30 p.m. People visiting the mamlatdar’s office expressed their satisfaction over the raid and said that more raids should be conducted in the department and other departments as the aam admi had to go regularly go through hardships to even get a simple work done like getting a birth certificate, but said that such things could be brought under control if there was a time limit to issue such certificates or complete works like mutation work, reinforcing the view that people have to go through this regularly, and this incident was just a tip of the iceberg.
They also expressed their doubt if he would be really prosecuted or some “pressure” would be applied and he would get off scot-free like so many others. Monday’s trap was set by the ACB after a complaint was filed by Mr Dilip Hegde that the talathi wanted ` 5,000 for carrying out the mutation of his property.
The raid conducted by ACB police inspector, Mr Nilesh Rane also allegedly found ` 7,800 on his person in addition to ` 3,200 that was officially accounted for.
“I have been following up about my mutation file for the past 2 months. The talathi has been continuously trying to avoid doing my work saying he is busy, come later, such excuses,” Mr Dilip Hegde, the complainant told the media after the raid.
“So at last, last Thursday, I asked him what was the problem, and why the delay. He then point blank asked me for ` 5000 to do the work,” Mr Hegde said adding he then contacted the ACB police inspector, Mr Nilesh Rane, and told them everything.
“So, today, I gave him ` 5,000 as promised. This was around 4.15 p.m. I had with me Mr Shirodkar and two witnesses. The ACB raid was conducted in the presence of the mamlatdar, Mr S Natu. I also carried a tape recorder with me today and had also recorded the whole earlier conversation,”
Mr Hegde told media, adding that when he met him on Monday and told him that he had brought the money as per his demand, he had asked: “when my work would be done,” and was told: “don’t worry within one month I will complete the work.”
According to the ACB’s Mr Rane the trap was set after the complaint was filed by Mr Hegde that Mr Subhash Velip had demanded ` 5,000 from him to do the mutation of the property that he (Mr Hegde), had sold to Navroj Contractors.
The complaint says that Mr Hegde, who was following up on the paper work, noticed that his process was getting delayed and so when he called on the talathi and enquired about the delay he straight forward demanded ` 5,000. Then ACB officials said, as per the demand, Mr Hegde handed over the marked money to Mr Subhash Velip who had put the money in his pocket. Soon after the Anti-corruption Bureau officials caught him red- handed with the marked money.
The raid was conducted under supervision of ACB SP, Mr Bosco George. Mr Rane informed that FIR under Prevention of Corruption Act was being filed, and after the completion of investigation Mr Velip will be charge-sheeted accordingly. (NT)

2 comments:

  1. The Talathis in Goa are making a lot of extra money for their government paid services. I remember during the making of my Portuguese passport our talathi took at least 5000/- (five thousand rupees) from me. All the talathis must be caught and punished by dismissal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. N.Fernandes-London30 November 2010 at 04:15

    To Shyam Sawant:
    I agree with you.
    When I was in Goa about 2 years ago, a friend of my relatives had come over to visit them.
    In his back pocket he had in Rupee notes, 2 bundles...Rs. 65,000? & Rs. 40,000/-.
    he explained to me that this was a bribe to the Margao BDO and Colva Panchayat to get some of his buildig work approved.
    When he showed me the 2 bundles of Cash ,and told me what it was for, I was in utter shock.
    To this day I must admit I am still shocked by this.
    Another friend of mine in the UK, who just returned back from Goa in January this year )(2010), visited me and also told me that he had to pay Rs14,000 to the Majorda Panchayat to get some of his work approved as he had limited time in Goa.He was told that if he paid the RS. 14,000 , that the boss could approve the work quickly.
    It is a rather sad state of affairs.
    There are methods to avoid these sort of problems...but the Goa Government does not wish to even consider or implement them.
    I am sure if more Goans carried tape recorders, a lot more scoundrels will be caught.
    I must admit that Mr D Kamats "aam Admi" has failed miserably.
    I hope people who read Niz-Goenkar will give us more examples of these sort of incidents.
    I, and I am sure you too, will understand their need to remain anonymous.But I hope they will just use their first name only or a "pseudonym " or "nom de plume".
    I would be happy to then, expose these corrupt guys if we can have their names.
    If their names are on Niz-Goenkar it will surely buzz around the village in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.