Sunday 2 January 2011

WHEN ADVOCATES VIOLATE THE CODE by Adv. Aires Rodrigues, Ribandar

The Bar Council of India prescribes a strict dress code for an advocate.  An advocate must wear his bands or gown strictly only within the Court premises and never on the streets. This rule seems to be regularly violated. In Mumbai lawyers are even seen at Fort and Crawford markets donning their gowns.
A shop keeper there once told me that they may be doing it to get respect and possibly some discounts on their purchases. It is also deplorable to see notaries in advocate’s uniform hanging around the bus stops near Mumbai’s Victoria Terminus soliciting and bargaining with customers.  Even pimps in the world’s oldest profession do it more discretely.  All said and done you do not become an advocate by merely wearing a gown. Just as you are not a doctor by merely stringing the stethoscope around your neck.

2 comments:

  1. This is our India. The PM said he wants to clean it up. He is a good man but he is weak, he will not be able to do it. The whole system is infected and diseased. The only way is to do like China does, execute them all! Mr Marathe, 'you are still proud of this rubbish!!! Sing your songs and keep daydreaming....

    ReplyDelete
  2. N.Fernandes-London2 January 2011 at 11:34

    Dear Aires,
    Thank you for letting me know how to get a discount in Mumbai.I will not need to "haggle" or "barter" anymore.

    When I am next in Goa , I will have a Gown tailored (not by Mickky), and then pop over to Margao Market, which is my nearest.
    This will enable me to get 50% off everything by just wearing an Advocates GOWN.
    Everytime I am down in Goa , those Rickshaw wallas ,Motorcycle Pilots(RAVI NAIKS off-springs), and Taxis inflate their prices, to Rip me off.
    For example, I have to pay Rs700/= from Margao to Majorda.Same price from the Airport to Bogmallo.Everyone else pays about Rs 250.
    Now I am sure if I was in Goa this Christmas I would have to pay at least Rs 200/= per Kg for Onions.These things make me "cry".
    Now I hope, I will not have to pay 100% Bribes.
    I will just wear these Gowns and I am assured of at the least 90% discount on bribes.
    The Majorda, Colva , Benaulim and other Panchyats will not be happy that you let me into a money saving SECRET.

    Thank you Aries, from the bottom of my heart.
    I will write to you and Niz Goenkar soon about all this in more detail.

    Regards
    N. Fernandes

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.